Everyone needs an all-purpose seasoning blend that they can rely on to spice up grilled poultry and meats, roasted and grilled vegetables, salads, or to boost the flavor of a simple foil pack chicken dinner. This easy 4 ingredient seasoning blend does exactly that.
Many homemade all purpose seasoning recipes include a very long list of spices and each of those spices adds something to the blend. But sometimes you need something quick and easy that will work on anything and doesn't require a pantry full of spices.
Enter this easy all purpose seasoning recipe. It requires only four ingredients (five, if you need to add salt), and is ready in less than 5 minutes. It can be used anywhere your recipe needs a pick-me-up, although my personal favorite ways to use it are on grilled chicken skewers, shrimp, and crunchy roasted or grilled vegetables.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Having homemade spice mix on hand means you can quickly and easily add flavor to your meal without having to pull out several spices each time you prepare a meal. This makes it perfect for packing along on camping trips.
- You can mix up a big batch to keep on hand for anytime you need a flavor boost.
- It will keep for up to a year if stored properly.
- It's made with only 4 ingredients.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Lemon pepper--This adds a zippy brightness to the blend. Check your lemon pepper blend, as some contain salt and some do not. If you are using a salt-free blend, add ½ teaspoon of salt to the mixture.
- Granulated garlic--I prefer to use granulated garlic instead of garlic powder as the size of it makes it blend better with the other ingredients. If you only have garlic powder, use ½ teaspoon instead of 1 teaspoon.
- Dried parsley--You'll get a herbal note from the parsley, as well as a pop of color in your seasoning blend.
- Combine the lemon pepper, granulated garlic, parsley flakes, and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Mix well to combine, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
It's a blend of spices and herbs that is used to elevate the flavor of meat, poultry, vegetables, soups, salads, and dressings. The exact combination of spices can vary and be adjusted based on personal preference, but it is a convenient way to add flavor without having to constantly measure out several spices.
This particular all purpose seasoning mix can be used anytime you need some extra flavor, but I think it is best suited to chicken, fish, seafood, and grilled vegetable dishes. The zippy lemon flavor pairs exceptionally well with them.
You can sprinkle it directly onto the meat or vegetables, or you can mix it with oil to create a marinade or coating to apply to the food before cooking.
Definitely. If you're watching your salt intake, use a salt-free lemon pepper, such as Mrs. Dash, and reduce or eliminate the salt in the blend.
Tips and Troubleshooting
- This recipe can be scaled easily. Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple it, depending on how much and how frequently you use it.
- Store the all-purpose seasoning blend in a cool, dry place in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 1 year. Shake or stir it to recombine before using.
- This all-purpose spice blend recipe is suitable for gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan diets.
More Everyday Staples You'll Love
Tried This Recipe?
All-Purpose Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Combine the spices in a small bowl. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place. Shake or stir to recombine before using.
- Check your lemon pepper--If your lemon pepper does not contain salt, you will need to add ½ teaspoon to the blend.
- Scaling--This recipe can be scaled easily. Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple it, depending on how much and how frequently you use it.
- Storage--Store the all-purpose seasoning blend in a cool, dry place in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 1 year. Shake or stir it to recombine before using.
- Dietary--This recipe is suitable for gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan diets.