These easy chicken and potato foil packets are made over the campfire (or on your grill) and are ready in just 30 minutes. They're a healthy combination of chicken thighs, carrots, and potatoes, all tossed in a bright and peppery seasoning blend.
I've got a special place in my heart for foil packs, which is obvious, given the number of recipes on this site that utilize them. Really, what's not to love? Everything gets cooked in one convenient package (that you can eat out of!!), and there's nothing to clean up. It's the ideal camping meal.
When my daughter requested chicken foil packets on our most recent camping trip, I knew I needed to find something that was hearty and satisfying, but still suitable for hot summer weather, and that tasted really, really good. She will happily vouch that these campfire chicken foil packets with potatoes and carrots did exactly that.
The chicken and vegetables get coated in a seasoned oil and wrapped up in their pouches, tossed on the campfire grate, and then you get to sit back and listen to them sizzle away. A mere 30 minutes transforms the simplest of ingredients into a satisfying meal. Enjoy.
Why This Recipe is Great for Camping
- You can mix up the seasoning blend before heading out to save time and space.
- Your entire meal cooks in one convenient package.
- You can make it over the campfire or on your portable grill.
- It's a balanced, healthy meal that will leave you satisfied.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken thighs--I like using boneless skinless chicken thighs here because they stay moist. Chicken breast pieces may dry out before the vegetables are cooked through.
- Potatoes--Small new potatoes work best here, although this is also great with pieces of Yukon Gold or other waxy potatoes. Don't use Russet potatoes here as they'll break down too much during cooking.
- Carrots--Use carrots with an even thickness whenever possible. This will help them to cook evenly.
- All-purpose seasoning--This is my favorite blend of spices for using on chicken. You can substitute your favorite store-bought or homemade seasoning blend, if you prefer.
- Combine the olive oil and seasoning blend in a large bowl and stir well.
- Add the chicken, carrots, and potatoes and mix well so that the seasoned oil coats each piece.
- Divide the chicken mixture among four pieces of aluminum foil, and fold each one up to enclose the contents.
- Cook the camfire foil packets over a bed of hot coals until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
Sure. Toss the foil packets on a rimmed baking sheet and cook in a 400°F (200°C) oven for about 30 minutes.
You can, but choose vegetables that will cook through in the same time as the chicken. Bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, and small cubes of sweet potato will all work. Avoid quick-cooking vegetables, like zucchini and asparagus as they'll be overcooked by the time the chicken is done.
Place your food in the center of the foil. Bring the long edges of the foil up to meet, and then fold them over a couple of times, creating a seam that runs over the top of your food. Then working with one end at a time, fold it over a few times to seal the end.
I like this method because it's easy to open the seal on top to check them for doneness and then close, if necessary, and it also creates an easy pouch for eating when opened.
Tips and Troubleshooting
- To get ahead, mix your seasoning blend before heading out on your camping trip.
- If making these over a campfire, use a bed of hot coals to allow for even cooking. Don't cook them over open flames.
- Don't flip your foil packets while cooking.
- This chicken foil packet recipe is suitable for gluten-free and dairy-free diets.
More Foil Packet Recipes You'll Love
Tried This Recipe?
Campfire Chicken and Potato Foil Packets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (1 batch) all-purpose seasoning blend
- 8 (about 2 pounds | 900 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound new or waxy potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- Prepare a bed of hot coals or preheat a grill for medium heat (400°F).
- Stir the oil and seasoning blend together in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, carrots, and potatoes and mix well to combine. Try to get each piece coated with some of the seasoned oil.
- Divide the mixture among four large sheets of aluminum foil. Fold up each sheet to create a pouch, enclosing the chicken and vegetables.
- Set the foil packets over the fire and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) and the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. You should hear sizzling coming from your campfire foil packets.
- Open carefully and let cool slightly before devouring.
- Plan ahead--To get ahead, mix your seasoning blend before heading out on your camping trip.
- Keep your heat even--If making these over a campfire, use a bed of hot coals to allow for even cooking. Don't cook them over open flames.
- Don't flip--Don't flip your foil packets while cooking.
- Dietary--This chicken foil packet recipe is suitable for gluten-free and dairy-free diets.